Gas Furnaces and Carbon Monoxide: The Risks and How to Protect Your Family

February 06, 2017
Whenever your gas furnace is on, carbon monoxide is being formed. However, there is no cause for worry. It is a natural consequence of the fuel-burning process. As long as your furnace is running properly, it is carefully deposited outside your home. Carbon monoxide is kept inside your furnace’s heat exchanger until it is safely pushed through the flue vent to the outside. Carbon monoxide poisoning is a product of a malfunctioning gas furnace.

Inhaling too much carbon monoxide stops the body from using oxygen and can harm the central nervous system and heart. While carbon monoxide poisoning can injure anyone exposed to the gas, it is especially risky for people with existing lung or heart problems, pregnant woman, infants and children. Here are some tips to ease your mine mind and preserve a healthy, comfortable and safe home.

1. Invest in carbon monoxide detectors. Carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas that can’t be detected by humans. Without a detector, it’s nearly impossible to know carbon monoxide is accumulating in your home. You may not know until someone starts showing symptoms of poisoning. Put carbon monoxide detectors on every floor of your home, ideally near bedrooms, to be alerted to rising levels before anyone gets sick.
2. Be sure your gas furnace was installed properly. If your gas furnace wasn’t installed by professionals, you should have it inspected. The experts at Brandon Heating and Plumbing can make sure your blower motor is installed properly and that there are no flaws in your ductwork design. Carbon monoxide can accrue if there are problems in those spaces.
3. Schedule annual maintenance. Regular maintenance is the best action to take to prevent carbon monoxide leaks from your gas furnace. During a yearly maintenance appointment, our professionals will clean your system and inspect it for malfunctions or problems. It’s also a decent idea to have any other gas-, coal- or oil-burning appliances professionally checked as well.
4. Keep your air filter clean. A stoppage of airflow caused by a spoiled filter can cause carbon monoxide to bleed out from your system. Set a reminder on your phone or mark your calendar to regularly check your air filter and clean or change it per the manufacturer’s specifications.
5. Always count on professionals to repair your gas furnace and other fuel-burning appliances.


Carbon monoxide can be very dangerous, but you can have peace of mind by taking a few precautions. You’ll always have the experts at Brandon Heating and Plumbing in Brandon behind you to help, too. Give us a call at 204-728-0180 if you have questions or concerns about carbon monoxide or your gas furnace. You can also schedule an appointment using our online scheduler.