According to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association, air ducts must be cleaned about three to five years on average. Your home’s location, your pets and the length of time you’ve had your air filters—along with many other factors—can influence the amount of time between cleanings. How can you see if it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? We’ve got some indications that you should keep an eye on.
Look for these clues:
1. When your vents are fully opened, do any have less adequate airflow than others?
2. Can you hear noise other than your blower motor when you pay attention to the airflow?
3. Is there an obstruction in your cold air return vent?
4. When you glimpse inside with a flashlight, can you see a buildup of debris or pet fur?
5. Have bugs or rodents fashioned a home in your ductwork?
6. Are your cold air returns coated with dust or pet hair?
7. Are your registers driving out dust?
If you replied “yes” to any of these questions, it might be time to ask Brandon Heating and Plumbing in Brandon about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
While professional cleanings are important, there are things you can do to maintain your ducts and extend the time between professional visits.
Most importantly, schedule consistent HVAC maintenance with the pros at Brandon Heating and Plumbing. A regular evaluation of your furnace in the fall and air conditioning unit in the spring will keep your HVAC system running at peak performance. Inspecting your system often and replacing the air filter when necessary will also help keep your ducts clean.
Additional ways you can help manage your ducts:
• Seal air duct leaks that let dust in from places such as your attic.
• Check your air filters on a regular basis and change them when needed.
• Regularly dust and vacuum your home.
• Replace air duct insulation if it is in bad or moist condition.
Keeping your ducts clear will help you make sure the air in your Brandon home is clean. Don’t forget to use these preventative measures and schedule a professional duct cleaning regularly. Call the experts at Brandon Heating and Plumbing at 204-728-0180 or schedule an appointment online.