Spring is in the air here in Brandon and that means vacation plans are on the horizon. While you’re sorting through what you need to pack and take with you, don’t forget what is left behind, your home. The Brandon Heating and Plumbing team has some recommendations that will work to keep your home secure and help save some money on your utility bills while you go on a well-deserved vacation.
- Install Timers - Timers are a low cost way to make your home appear as though someone is home by turning off and on the lights as if you never left. It’s a wise idea to program your lights to coincide with your usual schedule.
- Enlist the help of a house-sitter - If you have a reliable friend or family member, ask them if they’d mind stopping by and [[checking in on|check up on|look over]18 the house while you’re away. There’s no greater relief than a text while you’re away letting you know that everything at home is perfect.
- Wait to share - We aren’t going to ask you not to share photos of your fabulous sabbatical on social media, but try to put it off until after you make it home to post anything about your trip. Family and friends probably already know you’re leaving so there’s no reason letting potential criminals know your plans. Everyone will be just as excited about the amazing things you saw after you safely return home.
- Hold the Mail - The USPS has made it easier than ever to put a hold on your mail you can do it online right now.
- Unplugged - If an electrical appliance is plugged in, even if it’s not on, it’s using energy. An easy way to cut back on energy while you’re away is to unplug some of your electronics. Something that you may not have thought of unplugging is your garage door. It will conserve energy and it will also be another safeguard for your home.
- Adjust the thermostat - If you’re out of town there’s no need to keep your home heated and cooled to your comfort level. If you have a digital thermostat you can set the thermostat back to your ideal level so you arrive back to a safe, cozy home.
These are some easy tips to add to your spring break prep checklist, right after finding the perfect bathing suit. If you have any questions about protecting your home this season or want to discuss additional energy saving tips, give Brandon Heating and Plumbing in Brandon a call at 204-728-0180.